New York, New York, United States
Position: School Security Guard
Location:New York, NY
Reports to: Director of Security
WHY WORK AT AVENUES
A top-tier school in New York City, offering a truly global education, that will expand to some of the world’s leading cities in coming years. A culture of creativity, entrepreneurship and deep collaboration. State-of-the-art technology throughout. Brilliant colleagues, with widely diverse experience, creating a unique educational experience together. There is no place quite like Avenues.
The School Security Guard will be assigned to a single or multiple posts during their shift to enforce school rules and security protocol; ensure the security of the students, staff, parents and visitors; and to prevent damage to the school facilities. He/She will establish a rapport with the students and staff to provide an atmosphere that is safe, secure and conducive to the proper functioning of the school. The guard will provide assistance to all students, parents, staff members and visitors by either personally resolving problems or referring them to the appropriate person for assistance. Work will require independent judgment and is performed under the supervision of the security supervisor for his/her shift who will provide annual evaluations.
School Security Guards at Avenues:
- Current New York State security guard license required
- Significant Security Guard experience (school setting preferred)
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions, inquiries and/or complaints
- Courtesy, professionalism and respect when dealing with others
- Ability to react well under pressure, handle multiple demands at one time, work with frequent interruptions and perform duties and tasks at expected levels of professionalism, assess situation and determine if school safety or security is in jeopardy
- Sufficient human relation skills to resolve confrontation, affect behavior of others and convey a positive image of the school
- Ability to observe accurately, recalling faces, names, descriptive characteristics and facts of incidents and places.
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision
- Ability to administer first aid in emergency situations (training will be provided)
- Sensitivity to cultural differences among individuals and groups of persons
- Working knowledge of current effective security measures; working knowledge of laws and ordinances governing the behavior in private buildings and schools; working knowledge of fire prevention and fire control (training will be provided); working knowledge of crowd control, evacuation and lockdown procedures; ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with students, staff, parents, outside vendors and the general public; ability to keep prepare reports; ability to express ideas clearly, both in orally and in writing; physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
Normal working hours depend on the specific position, which is full-time. Certain days of the year may require the guards to change or modify their hours. All employees are expected to exhibit flexibility with their schedule
Resumes, accompanied by a thoughtful letter of interest outlining how your experience aligns with the challenges of the position and Avenues' mission, may be submitted through the Careers section of the Avenues website (http://www.avenues.org/en/careers/).
Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package. Avenues is committed to diversity among our staff, and applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.