San Jose, California, United States
Location: San Jose, CA
Start Date: July 2020 - flexible
Start Date: July 2020 - flexible
About Avenues Silicon Valley
Avenues | The World Schoolprepares students for engaged global citizenship during a time of unprecedented complexity and accelerating change, combining language immersion, interdisciplinary learning, a global curriculum, and a culture of creativity and deep collaboration.
Avenues plans to open its Silicon Valley campus in San Jose for the 2021/22 academic year, serving students from nursery through 9th grade. As the newest campus of Avenues, Avenues Silicon Valley is slated to be the first global school in the Bay Area, providing students with transformative, world-focused learning experiences in a state-of-the-art educational facility.
Avenues |The World School is committed to pioneering cutting-edge experience design in the field of education. We are looking for a versatile, collaborative Experience Designer to carry the torch of this commitment for our new Silicon Valley campus. This is an extraordinary opportunity for an innovative design leader passionate about education to play a critical role in shaping and enhancing the experiences of students, families, faculty and staff from the very beginning of the launch of this new campus.
- You have a track record of leveraging your evolving design/creative toolkit to a variety of challenges to create better experiences for people
- You are deeply curious about people; observing and asking questions from a place of empathy, relentlessly questioning assumptions (whether yours or someone else's) and leveraging data
- You tell great stories that resonate (and stick!) with people and are a masterful communicator across mediums
- You are a creative, analytical problem solver who loves to dive into complex, ambiguous puzzles; seeking out original solutions over predetermined paths
- People get really excited about implementing your ideas--not just because they’re great--but because you know how to influence stakeholders and navigate organizational complexity to realize them
- You’ve always been interested in education--whether inside or outside school settings you are a passionate learner and fascinated by the structures/tools/experience of learning
What You Will Do
Enhance the Avenues family experience through great design - potentially including facilities, processes and services, and any points of family/student interaction from report cards to signage to special events
- Lead the implementation of key experience initiatives--balancing a focus on mid and long term projects with real time parachuting in to tackle near term high need areas
- Serve as a key advocate for Avenues students, families and colleagues in the design and execution of all campus experiences
- Determine how to best measure and listen to stakeholders' experience and use data and observational research to inform how we continually improve
- Partner closely and effectively with campus leadership, faculty, staff and others to create and advocate for more beautiful, satisfying and intuitive stakeholder experiences
- Help build a culture of user-centered design at Avenues Silicon Valley and throughout the organization as a member of the Global Experience team, teaching and embedding habits of design thinking, UX research and problem solving with colleagues
- Mastery of one or more aspects of design, including Graphic Design, Experience Design, Information Design, Art Direction, Storytelling, Editorial Design, Creative Technology, Architecture etc
- Familiarity with canonical texts in the field (Design of Everyday Things[Norman], The Visual Display of Quantitative Information[Tufte], Universal Principles of Design[Lidwell])
- Ability to carry out complex projects successfully in an environment of multiple stakeholders and competing priorities
- Willingness and ability to quickly adapt to and address changing priorities while also making progress on mid to long term initiatives
- A passion for education and Avenues’ Mission
Nice to Haves
- Strong grasp of user-centered design principles and user experience design
- Experience using data analysis techniques, common UX research methods and observational research to inform design
- Experience in international and/or private schools
What We Offer
- Unparalleled career growth opportunities across multiple campuses around the world
- The thrill of a start-up and a green field to build things from scratch, all within an organization with global resources and supports, and a proven track record of results
- Frequent feedback, ongoing coaching and top-notch, job-embedded professional learning
- Competitive rewards package, wellness resources, relocation support (as needed), and other benefits to best support you and keep you healthy and happy
- A beautiful, uplifting, student-centric school environment
- A chance to change the world of education as part of a global community spanning three continents
Learn more about Avenues on our website (www.avenues.org) and LinkedIn (https://www.linkedin.com/company/avenues-the-world-school/). Apply through the Careers section of the Avenues website (http://www.avenues.org/en/careers/).
Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package. Avenues is committed to diversity among our staff, and applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.