Shenzhen Shi, Guangdong, China
Avenues Mastery Academy
Master of Making and Design
Location: Beijing, China, or Online
Start date: July/August 2020
Avenues is on a mission: changing the world through education. This is more than a platitude for us. With interconnected campuses under development in leading cities around the world, Avenues is uniquely positioned to develop world-wise leaders equipped to face and solve the future's complex global challenges.
THE AVENUES MASTERY ACADEMY
The Avenues Mastery Academyis an innovation and making focused high school program at Avenues: The World School. Designed to equip students with the skills, knowledge, and social network needed to become the leading inventors and innovators of the future through reverse engineering, reinventing, and redesigning leading technologies, from smartphones to 3D printers. Ultimately students apply for a patent for their own original invention. Academy students think the thoughts and practice the practices of history’s great changemakers in order to become the changemakers of tomorrow.
The Avenues Mastery Academy experience is divided into three year-long themes that embody the paradigms, tensions, and values at the heart of innovation and making: Creation (Grade 10), Innovation (Grade 11), and Foresight (Grade 12). Academic units thoughtfully combine an invention that students build, relevant mathematics instruction, and foundational texts to explore the past and future of the technology. For example, while building their own computers, students are reading 2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clark and The Idea Factory by John Gertner.
As a Master of Making and Design, you will help establish a new model of secondary education with innovation and making at its core, supported by Avenues' global expertise and operations. On your faculty team there will be two Associate Masters of Making and Design, a Master of Innovation and Science Fiction, a Master of Engineering and Mathematics, and additional team members in curriculum design, admissions, marketing, finance, and operations.
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
This is a role for someone that wants to wear many hats. We are more focused on adapting so as to accomplish the right goals than sticking with the plan to execute the wrong goals perfectly. That said, some things you will be doing include:
- Lead the making and design team to do the projects yourself and plan students' work. That means building inventions such as a solar sterling generator, a mechanical clock, an electron microscope, and a geodesic dome. When not building yourself, you will work with students on their builds, guiding team formation and roles, providing feedback and coaching on their work, as well as setting and achieving project milestones.
- Based on the intended inventions, you will identify needed equipment, materials, and maintenance for the maker space.
- Over a three-year period you will help students prepare their patent applications for an original invention.
- Build relationships with industry experts, makerspace communities, and the general Shenzhen education community.
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
This is a rare opportunity for a rare person. You will bring all or most of the following:
- A drive to create things from scratch, work from a blank slate, overcome challenges, and adapt to ambiguity.
- Industry experience in design, technology, and engineering as well as the associated tools and software.
- Intellectual curiosity and humility to question your assumptions, seek feedback, continually grow in creating a transformational experience for students.
- Experience filing for patents is a bonus, but not required.
- Professional fluency in English. Mandarin Chinese is a plus.
If you don't already live in China, it can be a big decision to move here. Beijing, with its deep and rich history, is simultaneously the stage to impressive cultural sites and cutting edge AI and 5G companies. Lonely Planet Beijing is good place to start getting an idea about the city. During the application process we will also help give you insight into what living in either city would be like.
Please be sure to read about Avenues: The World School and consider whether we are a good fit for you: www.avenues.org.
Apply through the Careers section of our website at http://www.avenues.org/en/careers/. Be sure to include a letter of application, in English, in which you thoughtfully explain why you believe that this role at Avenues Mastery Academy would be an excellent match for your experience, skills and passions.
If you are excited by Mastery Academy, but not sure about applying, you can set up a brief conversation using this link.
Avenues offers relocation assistance, competitive compensation, and a generous benefits package. Avenues is committed to diversity among our staff, and applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.