Shenzhen Shi, Guangdong, China
Master of Innovation and Science Fiction
Location: Shenzhen, China and Beijing, China
Start date: July/August 2021
Avenues is on a mission: changing the world through education. This is more than a platitude for us. With interconnected campuses under development in leading cities around the world, Avenues is uniquely positioned to develop world-wise leaders equipped to face and solve the future's complex global challenges.
THE AVENUES MASTERY ACADEMY
The Avenues Mastery Academyis a specialized high school program at Avenues: The World School designed to equip students with the skills, knowledge, and social network needed to become the leading inventors and innovators of the future. Students work alongside world-class faculty and trailblazing practitioners to reverse engineer, reinvent, and redesign leading technologies, from smartphones to 3D printers. Inspired by these mentors, Academy students think the thoughts and practice the practices of history’s great changemakers in order to become the changemakers of tomorrow.
The Avenues Mastery Academy experience is divided into three year-long themes that embody the paradigms, tensions, and values at the heart of innovation and making: Creation (Grade 10), Innovation (Grade 11), and Foresight (Grade 12). Academic units thoughtfully combine an invention that students build, relevant mathematics instruction, and foundational texts to explore the past and future of the technology. For example, while building their own computers, students are reading 2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clark and The Idea Factory by John Gertner.
As a Master of Innovation and Science Fiction, you will help establish a new model of secondary education with innovation and making at its core, supported by Avenues' global expertise and operations. On your faculty team there will be a Master of Making and Design, two Associate Masters of Making and Design, a Master of Engineering and Mathematics, and additional team members in curriculum design, admissions, marketing, finance, and operations.
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
This is a role for someone that wants to wear many hats. We are more focused on adapting so as to accomplish the right goals than sticking with the plan to execute the wrong goals perfectly. That said, some things you will be doing include:
- Mentor students in the exploration of essential questions and original insights prompted in discussing texts such as Dune, The Idea Factory, The Three Body Problem, andEngines of Creation.
- Enable students to build informed stances and articulately express opinions on complex issues at the heart of technology in society. Inspire students to imagine and predict evidence-based visions for the future of technology.
- Collaborate closely in a startup team focused on students’ learning and well-being. This is a role with many hats that requires adaptability.
- Build a supportive, collaborative, and respectful learning atmosphere.
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
You bring all or most of the following:
- A strong appetite for science fiction, innovation literature, and the history of science.
- Intellectual curiosity and humility to reflect on and continually grow in teaching practice.
- Strong experience in leading discussions on complex topics with clear evidence of student learning and growth. Experience with English as a second language groups is a bonus.
- A desire to work in a startup environment and from a blank slate.
- Professional fluency in English. Mandarin Chinese is a plus.
If you don't already live in Shenzhen, or in China, it can be a big decision to move here. With its relatively short history, the city offers an enticing balance of greenery and urban amenities. Specifically for the Avenues Mastery Academy, Shenzhen is a nexus of technology innovation that attracts interesting people from around the world. Wired's documentary on Shenzhen is a good overview. During the application process we will also help give you insight into what living in Shenzhen would be like.
Please be sure to read about Avenues: The World School and consider whether we are a good fit for you: www.avenues.org.
Apply through the Careers section of our website at http://www.avenues.org/en/careers/. Be sure to include a letter of application, in English, in which you thoughtfully explain why you believe that this role at Avenues Mastery Academy would be an excellent match for your experience, skills and passions.
If you are excited by Mastery Academy, but not sure about applying, you can set up a brief conversation using this link.
Avenues offers relocation assistance, competitive compensation, and a generous benefits package. Avenues is committed to diversity among our staff, and applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Encontre seu futuro na Avenues: faça parte de uma equipe que está redefinindo a educação ao redor do mundo.
Explore as mais recentes descobertas sobre educação global nos nossos câmpus em três continentes.
Veja nosso diretório de contatos, incluindo o escritório central da Avenues e nossos câmpus globais.
Voltar ao topo