East Hampton, New York, United States
Hamptons Studio Campus
Title: Learning Experience Designer (Contract to hire)
Location: Hamptons, NY
Start date: July/August 2020
ABOUT AVENUES: THE WORLD SCHOOL
Avenues is on a mission to change the world through education. Founded in 2010 with the vision of becoming one school with many campuses, Avenues now has physical campuses in New York, São Paulo, Shenzhen, and a virtual campus, Avenues Online. Together, these campuses form one transformative, interconnected learning community preparing students to become engaged global citizens and worldwise leaders.
Avenues Hamptons joins this global community in the fall as the first of its kind: a studio campus.
Our first studio campus, located in the heart of the Hamptons, establishes a new model of secondary education by combining our transformative, world-focused academic program with exceptional one-on-one mentoring, flexible scheduling, and personalized learning experiences in our unique, state-of-the-art studio facilities.
As a Learning Experience (LX) Designer, you will help launch a new campus and establish a new model of secondary education. LX Designers partner directly with the Head of Studio to mentor students, build community, execute day-to-day operations, and design authentic, relevant, and personalized learning experiences for each student.
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
- Foster students’ belonging and wellbeing
- Build meaningful, positive, and individual relationships with middle and upper grades students
- Support and counsel students as they explore academic, emotional, and social challenges or concerns
- Facilitate small-group advisories and community building activities
- Design transformative learning experiences
- Collaborate directly with the Head of Studio and students to co-create, coach, and oversee student-directed projects and initiatives
- Build relationships with local businesses, non-profits, and government agencies to identify real needs around which to engage students in meaningful partnerships and design projects
- Help create a culture of student-centered learning
- Provide general administrative support to the Head of Studio
- Communication: assistance with newsletters, memos, and other school communications
- Scheduling: assistance with creating and coordinating schedules, meetings, and events
- Site Operations: assistance with the supervision of spaces, daily routines and safety procedures, ordering and supplies, etc.
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR:
We are looking for candidates who bring:
- Understanding of and empathy for the social-emotional needs of adolescents
- Desire to be a part of building a new school and a new approach to learning
- Ability to collaborate, navigate ambiguity, and overcome challenges within a startup environment
- Expertise or experience with one or more of the following:
- Design thinking, social innovation, systems thinking
- Service learning and/or social justice and advocacy work
- Sustainability, outdoor education, and/or environmental studies
- Social-emotional learning, counseling, and/or K-12 teaching
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent
WHAT WE OFFER:
- Contract-to-hire position for one semester converting to FTE based on performance
- Unparalleled career growth opportunities across multiple campuses around the world
- The thrill of a start-up and the opportunity to build things from scratch, all within an organization with global resources and supports, and a proven track record of results
- Frequent feedback, ongoing coaching and top-notch, job-embedded professional learning
- A beautiful, uplifting, student-centric school environment
- A chance to change the world of education as part of a global community spanning three continents
Learn more about Avenues on our website (www.avenues.org) and LinkedIn (https://www.linkedin.com/company/avenues-the-world-school/). Apply through the Careers section of the Avenues website (http://www.avenues.org/en/careers/).
Find out more
Find your future at Avenues: join the growing team that’s redefining K-12 education around the world.
Explore timely insights into global education from our campuses on three continents.
View our directory of contacts, including Avenues’ headquarters and our global campuses.
back to top