Finance & Accounting
Begin by thinking Avenues New York, Avenues São Paulo, Avenues Shenzhen, Avenues Silicon Valley, Avenues Online. Avenues is a single global school with multiple interconnected campuses. It is not a collection of schools all pursuing different educational strategies, but rather one highly integrated learning community, connected and supported by a common vision, a shared education design and curriculum, world-class technology and a talented headquarters team in New York City. Avenues prepares students for engaged global citizenship in the twenty-first century, with an approach that combines language immersion, interdisciplinary teaching, a global curriculum, and a culture of creativity and deep collaboration.
Avenues is seeking a Regional Controller to build and then lead the Accounting and Finance Team across China. The individual will be initially based in Shenzhen to support the Avenues Shenzhen Campus and is expected to support multiple campuses across the China Region as we continue our growth. The China Regional Controller will report to the Global Controller (based at Headquarters in New York). The Regional Controller will manage an internal Accounting team (to be hired) and will work closely with the China Director of Operations & Administration, the HQ planning team, as well as the various functional leads within the organization. The individual will initially manage an outsourced accounting firm that is currently handling the accounting, filing and compliance areas.
This China Regional Controller will own the end-to-end close and report processes for China (Shenzhen Campus and Beijing HQ) and will be accountable for the financial integrity, reporting and presentation of financial information as well as the maintenance of a robust controls environment for the China Region. He or she will be responsible for compliance with local China tax and compliance laws and regulations as well as the reporting/filing requirements by staying current with existing legislation and anticipating future legislation. The individual will be accountable for the review, approval and signing of regulatory and statutory reporting requirements for the China Region by working closely with the outsourced accounting firm. He or she will ensure that the China Region is in compliance with the Global Finance policies and liaise with the internal, external and tax auditors for regional related matters.
The Regional Controller’s responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
Core Accounting Function
- Manage the monthly close process in a prompt, timely and accurate manner for the China Region
- Lead the outsourced accounting team (and later an in-house accounting team) on the daily accounting procedures for payroll, accounts payable, tax, accounts receivable and other accounting functions
- Manage and comply with the local and statutory reporting requirements and filings by liaising with the outsourced accounting team
- Prepare and review the monthly deliverables to the Global Controllership and planning teams
- Work with the China Senior Financial Analyst and the global planning team on the annual budget as well as the various forecasts during the year
- Manage the transition of certain accounting functions from an outsourced accounting team to an in-house accounting team at some time in the future, including working on setting up the financial system
- Maintain timely reconciliation of General Ledger Accounts as well as monthly variance analysis
- Work closely with the China Head of Operations on operational matters
- Liaise with the Global Controllership team on the implementation and ongoing support of global policies and work procedures, significant accounting policies, checklists and close-to-report calendars
- Work closely with Global Controllership team on requests related to the review and annual external audit processes
- Evaluate operating procedures in terms of control, efficiency and quality of output. Develop policies, procedures and process improvements
- Develop user-friendly, non-bureaucratic systems and controls to support the operations of our quickly growing organization
- Manage and develop a high-performing accounting teams on campus
- Develop a vibrant and positive team culture that is aligned to Avenues’ mission and priorities
Education & Certifications
- Bachelor's degree in accounting
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) or other accounting professional qualification preferred
- 8+ years of proven experience in a Controllership function/role with progressive responsibility (namely experience in AP, AR, accounting, tax and payroll)
- Experience working in a large, complex organization and in dealing with functional and virtual teams
- Experience working in an international organization is preferred
- Thorough knowledge of accounting principles, mainly local GAAP and US GAAP
- Working knowledge of the tax laws and regulations in China
- Sarbanes-Oxley compliance experience
- Excellent communication skills in Mandarin and English (oral & written)
- Strong technical and analytical skills and detail-oriented
- Cross-cultural skills to work smoothly across Western and Chinese professional cultures
- A keen analytical, problem-solving approach, including in ambiguous situations that require figuring out new solutions rather than taking predetermined paths to success
- Proficiency in PowerPoint and Excel, working knowledge of Workday (a plus)
- Ability to lead, collaborate and train effectively through relationships, persuasion and influence
- Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Sense of deep personal responsibility for the organization's success
- Passion for education and continuous development
To learn more and apply, visit http://www.avenues.org/en/careers/.
Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package. Avenues is committed to diversity among our staff, and applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Find out more
Find your future at Avenues: join the growing team that’s redefining K-12 education around the world.
back to top